Best wishes for a happy and healthy and prosperous 2012!
This has been a fast-moving year in technology, continuing the movement away from dependence on individual PCs and towards multiple devices and towards the cloud. There are new challenges, new buzzwords, new tools, and a flood of new companies / names / programs / services / devices that feels overwhelming. I’ll keep trying to be a trusted guide through the technology jungle.
Next year’s themes will be the same as 2011.
- Windows XP computers are falling down fast and being replaced by Windows 7 computers and laptops, to everyone’s relief.
- Microsoft’s hosted mail service, Office 365, is quickly becoming the standard choice for small offices, bringing all the advantages of Exchange into offices that couldn’t previously afford it.
- Microsoft’s new small business server options are exactly right, giving us lovely new choices for offices with 1-20 users.
- The bad guys will keep finding new ways for us to be fearful and focus on security.
- That’s going to make us think even harder about backups, and it’s also going to drive forward the move to push our data into cloud services, safe from attacks on individual PCs.
- You’ll get smartphones and tablets and ultrathin notebooks and more smartphones and more tablets and Apple will get richer and richer.
2011 was the best year of my professional life. It has been a pleasure to work with my clients and friends, and I am profoundly grateful to be able to help your business run more smoothly. I look forward to working with you next year!